The Best Dr Thorndyke Detective Stories by R Austin Freeman

Many thanks to Net Galley and the publisher, Dover Publications for allowing me the opportunity to read an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ah, Dr Thorndyke...often seen as a more rounded Sherlock and a precursor to the likes of Poirot. Having only read one or two Thorndyke mysteries before, I dived into this collection of short stories quite happily, expecting to be out-thought at every turn.

I was not disappointed. Far from it in fact! All of the stories had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the big reveal. Yes, a few times I guessed the culprit, but it's always fun to see the detectives try to solve the cases, even when the murderer is known.

In three of the stories, we witness the crimes first hand, before jumping into the thoughts and memories of Dr Thorndyke's able companion Dr Jervis. It's a very interesting and unusual way to read a detective story because you already know who dunnit, but you follow Thorndyke getting closer and closer to the truth. The rest are in a more traditional style, and each one stands out from the competition. The final story is more of a novella in length and form, but is equally as impressive.

I really enjoyed the writing style, typical of the era, and the characters really stood out, especially in the novella where the writer had more space to develop them. I am curious as to how his novels would be, because of the short stuff, R. Austin Freeman is a maestro!

Star rating: 5/5
This book will be published on 19th July 2017

Comments