The End Of The Day by Claire North

Many thanks to Net Galley and to the publisher for allowing me to read an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed my previous meeting with Claire North's writing when I read The Fifteen Lives Of Harry August, so much that I remember saying I would look out for more books by her in the future. Recently, I came across The End Of The Day and the blurb peaked my curiosity...a book about a human working as the Harbinger of Death. What's not to like?!

Unfortunately, quite a lot, it turns out. The story follows Charlie as he fulfills his responsibility of going before death as a courtesy or a warning, as he regularly reminds us. He travels the world, meeting all kinds of people from different walks of life and honours life. But there is no discernible plot, and it seems to be an homage to SJWs in many places.

I understand what North was trying, and maybe, in principle, it is a novel idea, but it just doesn't read well. To be honest, I was relieved to finish it. The predictable predicaments that Charlie gets into are just lame and, often, pointless.

On a positive, I did feel for Charlie a lot, and the writing was alright, and I'm sure some people will love this book but, at the end of the day, The End Of The Day was not for me.

Star rating: 2 from 5
This book is due to be published on 4th April 2017

Comments