Void: The Strange Physics of Nothing by James Owen Weatherall

Many thanks go to NetGalley and the publisher, Yale University Press, for granting me access to this book in exchange for an honest review.

Another physics book which cried out to me on NetGalley. The title, Void: The Strange Physics of Nothing, really grabbed my attention and after the success of Welcome to the Universe, I decided to give this a try. But one question struck me immediately, before I opened the book...how can nothing have physical characteristics? Well, I was about to find out!

This book charts the history and physics behind some of the greatest discoveries in physics: Newton's gravity, Einstein's relativity theories, and quantum physics, as well as touching briefly on string theory, all in about 140 pages. I found it to be really very interesting and, for an introduction to some of the ideas, it is quite a good book. I didn't like the lack of diagrams and charts to help with understanding and illustrating points, but it was not too difficult to read and to understand some of the fundamentals.

Another important thing to note is that it doesn't even try to explain the maths behind the theories. I understand that this would take up a lot of extra pages, but I really think it would be helpful to see at least some of the workings out, especially where relativity is concerned.

I guess this book would be especially good for people thinking of studying physics at university level and just want to get to grips early with these topics. However, the lack of maths and diagrams means that this book won't be completely helpful in the explanations for those at a higher level.

Star rating: 4 from 5

Comments