Welcome to the Universe

Many thanks go to NetGalley and the publisher for granting me access to a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My mind has just been blown! To come across a book about the universe, written by 3 popular scientists, as a read now on NetGalley is rare. The writers are Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard A. Struass and J. Richard Gott. You may have heard of them! I knew this book would be a challenge for me. I enjoyed physics at school, although I chose to study biology and chemistry instead, so I also knew it would be very interesting.

So, what is this book about? Well, quite frankly, it's about everything! How the universe formed, how it functions, everything we know and think we know is presented in this book which reads a lot like a series of university lectures, which is what it's based on. The future is also discussed. There are several chapters dedicated to Einstein and relativity as well. It is here that my mind started to melt!

A lot of the maths went over my head, which was not a surprise. What was surprising was just how much I did understand! I'm not sure I will ever get even a basic grip on string theory, but despite that I still liked the idea. One big problem was that I started to make jokes about relativity which drove my wife to despair at my terrible sense of humour...

All in all, this is a fantastic book for anyone considering studying astrophysics at university, but everyone should at least try it. Even if you don't understand everything, it's still a great collection of up to date information that is absolutely awe inspiring!

Star rating: 5 from 5

Comments