Disney Manga Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas by Jun Asuka

Many thanks to TokyoPop and NetGalley for granting me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

So, my latest foray into the world of Manga sees one of my favourite seasonal films adapted for the page. I love The Nightmare Before Christmas. The story is great, the animation is wonderful and I can easily watch it again and again...and again...In fact, I now want to watch it again! So, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read the Manga version when the chance arose.

I must confess to being a little disappointed by this. Yes, the graphics are what I expected, and are of course fantastic, the story is true to the movie and the characters are as bold as they should be. However, it just didn't feel the same to me. It didn't have as much of the magic and they attempt to put the songs in was just slightly strange, especially as they cut so many bits of them. Even one sequence was changed slightly (when Jack comes back to Halloween Town after his Christmas disaster to rescue Sally and Sandy Claws, it is described AFTER the rescue, not before) although this actually worked quite well.

Overall, I think for a newcomer to the story, this is good, and for collectors too, but for people who really love the movie this might not be quite what you expect. A good effort, but lacking the magic!

Star rating: 3 from 5

30795613
This book will be released on 8th November 2016

Comments