Sindbad the Sailor and Other Stories from The Arabian Nights

Many thanks go to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me an advance readers  copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Way back in January, I made a promise to read more from my NetGalley list, to read more classics and to explore new fantasy worlds. This book covers all three of those points in one! I have often heard people talk about The Arabian Nights stories and, of course, there are many movies about them...not to mention the odd pantomime of Aladdin. When I saw this new, illustrated edition on NetGalley, I thought I would request it and give it a try.

The first thing I must point out about this book is that it is not all of the stories from The Arabian Nights, but a selection. It includes Sindbad the Sailor, Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp, The Three Calendars and The Sleeper Awakened. Both NetGalley and GoodReads say that Ali Baba is included, but it isn't. They are wonderful stories to read, although, I must admit to being a little annoyed with Sindbad for his stupidity...if you get shipwrecked 4 times in a row, obviously sailing is not the right thing for you. DON'T go and buy yourself a boat! That aside, these stories are wonderful.

So, yes, the stories are great, but what really made this book stand out were the illustrations. Edmund Dulac has done a fantastic job with the 23 colour plates, drawn in the Persian style. They make the stories come alive more! Also, the border around each page is really a nice touch, although I am sure some people would complain about the waste of paper. Not me, however, as it's these little details that truly make this a wonderful work of art, not just a series of stories.

Star rating: 5 from 5
This edition will be released on 21st September 2016

Comments