The Lion Children by Angus, Maisie & Travers McNeice

It's not everyday you come across a non-fiction book that is better than many novels in it's story. It's especially rare to find books written by children r teenagers. It is once in a lifetime that both of these rare treats are combined in one amazing book. This is one of those moments!

My wife recommended that I read The Lion Children after she had read it herself. I put it off slightly because I had books that, for me, were more important. I now wish I had read this first (especially before Battlefield Earth!). It tells the true story of a family who relocate to Botswana and move out into the African bush. Told in the children's own style and words, it describes their life in some details, like being bitten by snakes, corralling crocodiles, and, of course, their work with the lions of the Okavango Delta. It tells of their loses and gains, the knowledge they learn, and how they learnt it, as well as giving some fascinating insights into the lives of the majestic big cat.

The important thing to remember with this book is that it is written by children, not by adults and, although it has been edited, it retains the words the children chose to use. It is also very easy to read (I read it in a day, but I had time). I would also like to add that we can all learn a thing or two from these amazing children and the life they lead.

If you love nature and want to know what it is like to live out in the wilderness, and especially if you are considering moving to Africa anytime in the future, this book is definitely for you!

Star rating: 5 from 5 - Wim-o-weh o-wim-o-weh o-wim-o-weh o-wim-o-weh

15984138

Comments