The Girl In The Ice by Robert Bryndza

Many thanks go to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me this advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review. I'm sorry that it's somewhat late!

I've heard and seen a lot of good things about The Girl in the Ice. People seem to absolutely love it. I am always a little apprehensive around new writers when I see only good things about them. In fact, I worry that I will get my hopes up and have them dashed as I have many times before! Nevertheless, I dove into this book head-first and became fully submerged in the plot.

When a young woman's body, found in the grounds of the Horniman Museum in London,  is identified as that of a missing socialite, it's up to DCI Erika Foster to try and solve this case along with her team. However, she faces difficulties at every turn. The father of the dead girl wants to determine the direction the case goes in as he is part of the Establishment, and her recent past haunts her. She will even have very close encounters with the murderer. The only questions are just who is the killer, and will Erika find him in time to save her career...and her life.

There is a lot of tension throughout the novel, right from the beginning. The writer really draws the reader into the story, having created an atmosphere that electrifies the senses. He has clearly done his research into London as well with all the streets and even the sewers being brought into focus. As fr the characters, they are all so colourful and brilliantly focused. I really hated Sparks early on, and the girl's father comes across as an arrogant jerk as well. The plot is quick to move on, and I found myself finding it very hard to put down this book. I finished it in 2 days and wanted more!

The only real negative was the predictability of the plot. I guessed the killer about 20% of the way through, although I did have my doubts on several occasion about other characters. Otherwise, this was an excellent book and I will be looking out for the sequel!

Star rating: 4 from 5

28721136

Comments