Wildlife Spectacles by Vladimir Dinets

I want to thank Timber Press and Net Galley for allowing me access to the advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Throughout my life, I have been fascinated by the natural world. I grew up watching David Attenborough on TV every week, following his programmes carefully and with great interest. I also read many of his books as well. And, even though Dinets is not Attenborough, receiving this wildlife book made me quite excited. 

Wildlife Spectacles: Mass Migrations, Mating Rituals, and Other Fascinating Animal Behaviors tracks the spectacular displays of wildlife throughout North America, from mating to feeding rituals and migrations in every element. He briefly covers a lot of different species and their habits, as well as detailing at the end of each chapter where you can see such spectacles. This is a very nice touch, giving people the chance to find out for them selves just how magnificent nature can be. Also, the photographs throughout the book are beautiful.

However, I feel that there was too little information about too many species. If Dinets had focused more of his attention on a few unusual things but with lots of detail, I would have enjoyed it more. That's not to say the book is bad. It really isn't. If anything, it is a good starter guide for the people of North America to find out what they can see on their doorsteps. What I would like to see now from Dinets are books about other parts of the world, or for more detailed books about certain species in this one.

Overall, a good starter book for new nature lovers, but more is definitely needed!

Star rating: 3 from 5

Wildlife Spectacles will be released on 19th October 2016

Comments