The Devil's Prayer by Luke Gracias

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When browsing through NetGalley, I occasionally come across a book that a lot of people are giving fantastic reviews. I often check up on Goodreads about it, see other reviews before making a decision on a new writer. The Devil's Prayer was one such book. A lot of people were giving it 5 stars and rave reviews, so I thought I would give it a try.

When a nun commits suicide in public, her daughter, Siobhan, sets out to find out why. What she discovers is a notebook, detailing the last 20 years of her mother's life. A betrayal, a demonic deal and then a quest ensue as Siobhan reads this confession, whilst avoiding the mysterious yet deadly red cassocked monks.

At first, I found this book to be quite simplistic in its language and the plot seemed quite uninteresting, until we join Siobhan in reading her mother's confession. It speeds up and becomes really quite a tense read with action and drama all the way. The language remains simplistic, and I admit that I found the characters to be a little 2 dimensional at times, but I did enjoy this book. It's a bit like The Da Vinci Code meets Kill Bill meets The Omen.

The book is open-ended, meaning a sequel is certainly a possibility. I, for one, would read it, but it wouldn't be a priority for me.

Star rating: 4 from 5
This book will be published on 8th August 2016

Comments