The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins

Over the whole of June (literally!) I read The Blind Watchmaker. For those of you who don't know, Richard Dawkins is an Evolutionary Biologist, and this book is along the natural selection line, the Dawkinian train of thought. This is a very complicated subject but the theory is so elegant, there can be know real competition to it.

I've never read any books on evolution before, so this was a new experience for me. I know the writing style, having read The God Delusion, and I can tell you honestly that this book reads like a dream. Some aspects are, I admit, a little challenging to understand but Dawkins does an excellent job in piecing it together in a well-organised, well-thought out way that the layman can grasp. It is popular science at it's very best. I particularly liked the chapter comparing the development of RADAR and SONAR with the echolocation of bats, and the birds tail feather lengths was also a delight to read.

I feel that I learned a huge amount from this book. I think it will take a reread to let it all sink in fully and, maybe, to clear up one or two of the bits I didn't fully understand, but the book is such a pleasure to read. Anyone with any interest in evolution should read this, and I truly think it should be a required reading for all evolution students in the future too.

Evolution is not a theory, it is a fact, and one we should all respect, even if we disagree with the vast amount of evidence on hand. The book may be celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, but it is still true!

Star rating: 5 from 5
117047

Comments