Death in Profile by Guy Fraser-Sampson

Huge thanks go to Guy and to his publishers, Urbane Publications, for sending me this review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first book I requested directly from the publisher, although strangely it all happened via Twitter. I received a notification saying that I had been mentioned in a tweet and, when I opened it, I discovered the cover of this book. I found it on GoodReads and decided to see if I could request it. The author himself passed my request to the publisher and the rest is history.

I must say, from the outset, that I haven't read many modern police procedural novels, preferring to read books more from the golden age of crime writing. This book proved to be an homage to that period, the writer even having some of the characters being played by his own. This was wonderful and helped blend the two very different styles of writing needed to pull it off.

The characters are great, although I would have liked them to be a bit more cut-throat, if you'll excuse the pun! The plot was full of the usual twists and turns, and, despite a really quick beginning, really stood out to me. I was a little disappointed in the reveal, if I am totally honest, but it was a clever twist which was a little unexpected.

Overall then, I would recommend this book to any crime fiction fan, especially of the golden age. I hope to see a sequel one day soon!

Star rating: 4 from 5
28446513

Comments