Roofworld by Christopher Fowler

Thanks go to the publisher and NetGalley for granting me access to the review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I love the concept of a group of people living freely on the roofs of London, away from the prying eyes of every other human. It has a nice quality to it. However, when groups form in to gangs, trouble and warfare is not far behind. This is the premise behind Roofworld, another Christopher Fowler rerelease. This time, I am in two minds about the book.

As I have already said, the concept is wonderful and the plot is well thought out. There is a lot of tension throughout and it does read more like a gangland novel than anything else, although it is difficult to place it there. I guess it is a cross between a mythical action story, and a detective one, if I had to say more specifically. I haven't read anything quite like it.

The book follows a few characters, but for me the important two are Robert (a tv researcher) and Rose (the former landlady of the writer of the book Robert want the rights to). Together, they are looking for Sarah, the daughter of the said writer, who was last seen with two skinheads. They uncover a secret community living above London, running and sliding between the roof tops. But the community is very much split into two groups. One of which wants complete domination and is on course for it. A succession of murders have also been happening which seem to link with some secret organisation and a rise in strength and power.

I must confess that the only two characters I felt anything for were Robert and Rose. The others just seemed too flat or even, in the case of Chymes, too mysterious. A little more was needed there, but otherwise it was a very good book.

Star rating:3.5 from 5



Comments