Death at the Boston Tea Party by Deryn Lake

My thanks go to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me access to the advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My previous experience of reading Deryn Lake was positive, enough to make me want to read more of her books. This book, for me, is not quite of the same quality as Death in the Valley of Shadows. Yes, the writing is first class, but the plot was mostly too straight forward with a few big leaps in understanding. Also, I felt the build up to the first death was a little too long. However, the conclusion was not quite what I had expected so that redeemed it somewhat.

The basic premise is that John Rawlings and his family have been invited to Boston in the colonies for business. On the way they are shipwrecked and have to survive the long journey to Boston on foot with the aid of one native American known as Blue Wolf. With them are a few other survivors, among whom death will strike once they reach their target during the infamous Boston Tea Party. It's up to John to investigate, an investigation which puts his own family in jeopardy.

I think, for the most part, the characters are confusing. There were times when I was trying to remember who was who, with the obvious exceptions of John and Blue Wolf. Also, some of them just seem too flat. Others, in the case of one lady, are larger than life. An odd mixture, in my opinion, but the book wasn't seriously affected by that.

Overall, an ok read for a short time with some good moments.

Star Rating: 3 from 5

Comments