Alice in Wonderland #1 by Jun Abe

Huge thanks to NetGalley and the Tokyopop for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Hot on the heels of my successful foray into graphic novels recently, I decided to try my first Manga book. I have seen images online of other manga characters, but I had never picked up one to read. Until now.

Ok, the story of Alice in Wonderland doesn't need a review in itself, but this book is a collectors manga of certain Disney films, in this case Tim Burtons view of Alice starring Johnny Depp. Jun Abe has successfully brought across the look and feel of the characters in this book, which is vital when replicating something from another form of media. The artwork is wonderful. I especially loved the Cheshire Cat who got a full two page spread to him and Alice meeting for the first time.

There isn't a whole lot I can add to this. It proved to be a wonderful experience, especially reading from right to left and back to front. I am very glad I tried it and I would definitely try more manga in the future!

Star rating: 4 from 5

Comments