Not so Much, Said The Cat by Michael Swanwick

Huge thanks go to the publisher, Tachyon Publications, and NetGalley for allowing me to read this review copy in exchange for an honest review.

After reading 4 detective novels in quick succession, with just one dip into sci-fi in between, I decided to take a short break and read some short story collections. The first of these collections is a series of sci-fi shorts by Hugo award winning writer Michael Swanwick, a new writer for me.

Short story collections are always complicated to review. Some stories you love, some you may hate, but rarely do you love them all. This is true here. I really enjoyed the tale of the house with a jealous personality as well as the black money scam story involving two con artists trying to make a quick fortune while ruining the power hungry of New Orleans. Yet there are some stories which just left me slightly let down. One in particular stated that atheists, of which I count myself, would be happier if they were not atheists...I stand insulted!

Generally, the characters are well written, the plots not too complicated for the short form, and the writing style is really enjoyable. Would I recommend this anthology to friends and family? Most likely. Would I read more by the author? Possibly, if I had the opportunity, time and a smaller backlog of books.

Star rating: 4 from 5, despite the insult.

This book will be released on 9th August 2016

Comments