British Library Crime Classics marathon - Part 3

Here is the final part of my British Crime Classics marathon. Many thanks to Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley for once again sending me the advance readers copies in exchange for an honest review.

A Scream in Soho by John G. Brandon

This was a brilliant, post-war thriller which was electric to read. From start to finish, this book was electrifying and well worthy of the 5 stars I gave it. It follows an investigation into a murder in Soho during a blackout. First the body is missing, and then another body is found which must have happened since the investigation began. The case is up to Detective Inspector McCarthy to solve, and his life is on the line. The story takes us all over Soho in the attempt to solve the crime and to save Britain as it becomes known that the crime is somehow connected to the defence of the country.

McCarthy is a clever DI. A bit like a cross between Holmes and Poitot, he is easily likeable while being someone you wouldn't want to upset. And he listens to his hunches, which invariably lead him in the right direction.

Over all, I loved this story. I can honestly say that I couldn't fault the writing, the characters or the plot.

Star rating: 5 from 5
This book will be published on 2nd August 2016

The Female Detective by Andrew Forrester

This book is arguably the first book about a female crime fighter in English. However, as much as I enjoyed the crimes in this book, a collection of shortish stories, the main character has a major flaw which is hard to cope with...consistently, and without fail clearly stating that she is a FEMALE detective rather than a detective. Sure, you have to look at the past situation. At the time, there were no female police officers or detectives in the UK, and I can understand her stating it in the introduction...but in pretty much every story, at least once, saying something like oh yes, I'm a female detective, or one thing that male and female detectives have to do is...obviously, I paraphrase here, but the point is clear.

Aside from this annoyance, I did enjoy the stories. The writing is not bad and the plots quite good too. The main character is fairly resourceful and smart (a trait needed by all good detectives!). Sometimes, you have to overlook the faults to find the diamonds in the rough. In this case, there is a lot of rough, but there are some gems there too.

Star rating: 3 from 5
This book will be published on 2nd August 2016

Comments

  1. Hi there, There's no doubt that your web site might be having web browser compatibility
    issues. Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it
    looks fine however, when opening in I.E., it's
    got some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!

    Apart from that, excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I will mention it to Blogger and see if there is any issue from their end

      Delete
    2. Also, I'm glad you like the blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment