The Immortals by Jordanna Max Brodsky

Many thanks to both NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Some of you may frown but I enjoyed reading Percy Jackson. It was interesting to see Greek gods in the modern world. So, when I heard about The Immortals, hyped as a grown up PJ, and a bit like American Gods by Neil Bauman, I thought I would give it a try.

The plot follows Arlene, otherwise known as Artemis, the Greek god of hunting, of the moon etc. as she tries to catch the murderer of a young college professor. Trying to solve the same murder is Theo, one time boyfriend and lover of the victim, Helen, and also a professor of classics. Eventually, their search joins them together and they discover a much more dangerous threat to the gods and the world.

I wasn't expecting brilliance, and for the first 50 or so pages, I wasn't mistaken. However, as the story progressed, so did the quality of the plot. The beginning is slow, if I'm honest, and a little dull, to the point that I almost put it down for good. Yet I stuck with it and was richly rewarded. The writing is easy to follow, the plot twists often unexpected, and the characters are likeable.

All in all, I enjoyed The Immortals, despite the poor start. I would recommend it to Percy Jackson and American Gods fans alike.

Star rating: 4 from 5


Comments