Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm

About 18 months ago, I started reading Assassins Apprentice by Robin Hobb. It was one of those moments when I found a book on Amazon for free that I had been thinking about reading,, so I took a chance. I haven't looked back. Since that day, I have read almost everything she has written, with the exception of Fool's Quest, which is waiting for me. I also started reading her books under the pseudonym Megan Lindholm. Wizard of the Pigeons is possibly the finest Lindholm book I have read to date!

This alternative fantasy story follows Wizard around Seattle as he scavenges a life for himself. With the magical gift of being able to communicate with pigeons and care for them, his life seems pretty comfortable compared with other street people. He even has friends, for want of a better word, including the ever changeable Cassie who clearly has deep feelings for Wizard. However, he does have a problem in a very sinister enemy, a mysterious entity called Mir. Throughout the story, Wizard tries to keep himself out of Mir's watchful gaze but then he meets Lynda and the problems he has really begin!

I really liked Wizard, although occasionally his blindness to everything around him began to frustrate me. He is irascible, has a mean temper if he sees violence, and yet he can be very gentle to his pigeons, to the point of protecting them from other people.

Overall, this book was fantastic. It shocked me like none of Lindholm's other books, but at the same time it was amazing! I'm very glad I read this now!

Star rating: 5 from 5 - fabulous fantasy, deeply dark and dangerous!

19208050

Comments