Life From Elsewhere and March Wrap-up

Life From Elsewhere: Journeys Through World Literature

As March closes, it's time to look back at this month's books, but not before managing to squeeze in one final book review. I want to thank Pushkin Press and NetGalley for sending me a copy of Life From Everywhere in exchange for an honest review.

So, what is this book about? It is a collection of ten essays based on the themes of freedom, movement and narrative from ten international authors. Viewpoints on these themes come from places like Poland or Russia as well as the Congo, Iran and Syria. It was created by Writers In Translation with support form English PEN, an organisation that helps writers in desperate need of assistance.

The collection is very varied and, as such, the essays have very different messages, and yet they all come back to humanism in one form or another. As a humanist, this was very helpful for me, and the essays are eye-opening to the world around us that we never see, for example the plight of writers in Syria. IT was enriching, enlightening and enjoyable, whilst also being very poignant and thought-provoking.

Star rating: 4 from 5

This book will be published on 21st June 2016

Wrap-Up

So, another busy month has ended and my reading goes on and on with another fifteen books read towards my 50 book target...although I should make it easily as I have now read 40 books towards this number! As for my other resolutions, I have finally succeeded in getting my NetGalley to read list down to under 20 books, 16 in fact, despite having a few ore books added to that list. Also, I read one classic, Mikhail Bulgakov's A Country Doctor's Notebook, a tale of a newly qualified Doctor at the time of the Revolution in Russia, complete with descriptions of blood and gore...nice, but an excellent read!

I have a new challenge for April. I am only going to read fantasy books. Already, I am ready to start with Cloven Hooves by Megan Lindholm...a book for which I spent much pain tracking down a copy. It is out of print so I feel lucky to have been able to get it. Without it, I could never say I've read all of Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm. 

Here are all of March's books in order of completion:

Comments