Different Class by Joanne Harris

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for sending me an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Last year, I read one of Joanne Harris's Norse folklore books, The Gospel of Loki and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Choosing to read one of her other books, I opened the pages of Different Class and dived in feet first, not knowing exactly what to expect.

Different Class is based in and around an old-fashioned boys school which has been stuck in the past for too long. The old guard of teachers are nearing retirement but one in particular is resistant to change. The school was the scene of a tragedy in the previous school year after the death of one of it's students. Now, there is a new head in charge, a former student of the school, and one with a past that, for one teacher at least, will bring up old ghosts and memories of things that went wrong 24 years earlier.

I must admit, I was expecting to have old memories brought back. I was bullied at school, I don't mind telling you, even by a teacher in my final year there. This book, however, skirts the topic of bullying except as a sub-plot in the modern day school. I admit that the school policies of the school in this book reflect how I saw my own experience but it didn't open any old wounds. Now, in fact, I am a teacher myself so I can sympathise with both the students and the teachers in this amazing book.

The writing is free flowing and the story moves along at an electrifying pace. It took me just over two days to read this 400 page novel which is sure to become a modern classic. I wouldn't be too surprised to see this as a modern classic in a few years to come! For me, this book truly is Different Class.

Star rating: 5 from 5


Different Class will be published on 21st April 2016

Comments