Circle of Bones by Christine Kling

Many thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Looking in to my past, I don't think I had ever read a treasure hunting book set at sea. Of course I've read The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, but they were always firmly on land. Circle of Bones is different.

Based almost entirely at sea or on Caribbean islands, this adventure story follows three main characters: Maggie Riley (a former Marine who prefers to be called Riley), Cole Thatcher (a shipwreck treasure seeker) and Diggory Priest (a former lover of Riley, and not all he first appears to be!). They are supported by a very colourful cast of characters, each brilliantly imagined by Kling. I really liked Cole of all the characters. He is the one character I connected with in more than just a superficial way. He is funny, smart, and good at solving ciphers.

The plot is quite typical. Lots of mystery surrounding a missing French submarine, the Surcouf, which was a true moment in history. Cole is looking for the wreck to finish his fathers work, while Diggory wants to stop him. Riley is caught up in the story when she rescues Cole at the beginning of the story, and her life wasn't the same after that. There were some disappointing moments, particularly the ease of how they solved the ciphers. It is assumed that a lot of time passes, but I could never follow just how they did it. I guess they are just a lot smarter than me!

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book, despite the above mentioned flaw. The writing is not hard to follow and it does build the tension nicely in to a very neat, albeit slightly predictable ending.

Star rating: 3 1/2 from 5

16244755

Comments