The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Last year, my wife read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and I also became an atheist. She advised me to read this book then, but I delayed and delayed, putting off what I thought would be quite a challenging book to read. I was wrong.

The feeling I got when reading it was one of shock, surprise at people's sheer stupidity (the "science" teacher at the UK faith school, for example), and also I gained a much greater understanding of my place in the universe. It certainly is not an aggressive argument without evidence, as a lot of believers think, but a well thought out critical essay, one half of a debate, almost, full of evidence to support Mr Dawkins' point of view. And it was also really quite easy to read.

Some of Richard's arguments, I admit I found difficult to fully grasp. I am not a scientist, I do not completely understand the bio-mechanics of our planet. However, the general point was made very clear. The supporting quotes were often very useful, even the religious quotes. The section about children was incredibly interesting, especially the part about academy schools in Britain who teach, fundamentally, creationism. I got quite angry about it, and even writing this I can feel it burning inside of me.

I would recommend this book to anybody who is prepared to look at the evidence in front of them, whatever their beliefs, especially to people who were brought up in a religious family but are not sure what to believe themselves. The book, for these people, must surely help them to open their eyes and to finally believe the truth. I am proud to stand up, hold my head high and say I AM AN ATHEIST.

I would be interested to know your thoughts about this subject, whether you are religious or not, especially if you have read this book or are thinking about doing so. Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Star rating: 4 from 5 - enlightening!

1929068

Comments

  1. I love your review...much better than mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment