Skin Like Silver by Chris Nickson

Huge thanks go to NetGalley and Severn House Publishing for granting me the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Several years ago, I spent my GAP year living and working in Leeds. It is a city I enjoyed being in and have visited it a few times since. When I found this book on NetGalley and saw it was based in that wonderful, Yorkshire city, I felt obliged to request it. And I am very glad that I did!

Chris Nickson has taken us back to 1891 in Skin Like Silver. It is the third book in the Tom Harper Investigates series, which is well worth a read. The story describes a group of policemen and investigators as they try to solve several crimes al at once...the discovery of a dead baby at the post office and the murder of a woman at the new railway station to name but two. The plot flows quite nicely from one event to another, and the tension is increased by good atmospheric writing, making good use of the typical Yorkshire weather.

I felt quite close to the main character, Inspector Tom Harper. He is a man with a very politically minded young wife, and all the problems of his job, combined with his failing hearing. He is not perfect, as a person, but who is?! The other main characters are also very likeable, and I spent the whole book thinking "Don't die!, Don't die!".

All in all, a good detective novel which is well worth reading. I found myself imaging the places I knew from my past there as I read.

Star rating: 4 from 5

Skin Like Silver: A Tom Harper Victorian Police Procedural

Comments