Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds

This advance readers copy was approved for me by the publisher Ace through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks!

Another new author for me...and another one that I am very glad to have read. I had ummed and ahhed about reading Alastair Reynolds for a long time, and I kept deciding not to read him "right now", but when this book came up on NetGalley, I thought to myself "why not?". The description was interesting. When I saw that it was the third book in a trilogy I was hesitant, but that description promised that the book was stand-alone. So, I gave it a shot.

I was not to be disappointed. I immediately found the book to be incredibly readable. Reynolds writing style is easy to follow without being too simple, the plot built up at just the right pace, the characters were everything I expected, and more. There were some minor faults, but they are just some personal points and not worth going into any detail about because they took nothing away from this marvellous story.

This is not a small book. According to GoodReads, it is around 600 pages, which is quite a lengthy book to introduce yourself to a new writer, but the pace of the plot makes it seem much smaller and there is surely scope for a follow-up in this sci-fi universe, with or without the same characters.

The Akinya family history seems very complex. Maybe that is because I haven't read the two previous books in the series, I'm not sure. When it talked about three people originally being one person, I got a little confused, especially with all the relations later in the family tree, but so did the characters. It's as if Reynolds knew what would confuse his readers and tried to show that it wasn't just us poor mortals who got lost in it!

I would like to read more of Reynolds' books, starting with the rest of this series, although finding them in Moscow is a little tricky. One day, I will find them and I will read them...and I look forward to that day.

Star rating: 4 from 5 - clever, easy to read sci-fi.

29063128

Comments