The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen

I was given an advance readers copy of The Snow Queen by the publisher, Pushkin Children's Books, in exchange for an honest review.

This was quite a short read, as I expected from Hans Christian Andersen. I had never read this story before, but I had been told about it by several people, so when I saw it on NetGalley recently, I jumped at the chance to read it.

It is always difficult to review a fairy tale classic like this. The characters are, as always, quite special, and the language is easier to understand for most ages. There is the usual sense of danger, someone being kidnapped, and then the quest to rescue that person. In this case, the kidnapped buy is Kia who, blinded by a piece of the devil's mirror, cannot see that in front of him is his best friend, Gerda. When he disappears, she tries to find out what happened to him and to try to rescue him if she can from the hands of the Snow Queen.

This translation is by Misha Hoekstra, a successful translator, and it reads very easily. Obviously, it is hard for me to tell how close it is to the original in style, but it was certainly enjoyable.

I won't say that I loved this story, but it was nice to read it on a snowy day in Moscow. The only real negative for me is the number of religious references. However, with this book being a classic, originally written in 1844, it can be explained away as simply the times in which he lived.

Star rating: 3 from 5

26368662

This copy will be published on June 7th 2016

Comments

  1. Sounds like a book for children, though I would give it a try. Who knows, it might be interesting.
    Thanks for reviewing it.

    http://pages-intheattic.blogspot.com.co/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a book for children, so the plot and language are quite simple, but not too much so. I found it interesting, I just didn't love it.

      Delete

Post a Comment