The Enigma of Twilight Falls trilogy by Mike Robinson

I received advance readers copies of all three books in this trilogy by the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the blurb about these books on Netgalley, I thought I would take a pint and try them. And, although they are not brilliant, they are certainly good to read. It's interestingly that the author has called it a "non-linear trilogy" and I can see why,

The Green-Eyed Monster

This was a very strange book which seemed a little disjointed at times. The story is told through the eyes of ordinary people and sort of follows the life of two writers who have been competing with each other since they were born. These people's lives seem to change as a result of these two writers, and butterflies seem to come from everywhere...

I felt this book had a lot of potential. It was kind of like a softer Stephen King, or maybe a little X-Files in content. I enjoyed reading it, but sometimes I got very confused and I felt like the book left me wanting for something. 

Star rating: 3 from 5

Negative Space

For me, this was slightly better than the first book in the series, although the only connection was a name and place, the place being Twilight Falls where the events of the first book took place. However, this book was very different. It follows an artist who paints missing people, a young woman who works in a BDSM house, a private detective, and also a man who falls in love with the BDSM girl.

From the beginning, I understood that there would have to be a meeting of all 4 characters by the end, but it wasn't quite what I expected. Yet again, the story did leave me a little lost at times, trying to work out any connections in the plot and often finding myself nowhere near anything sane or rational...but that is the thing about these books...there is very little rationale behind them. 

Star rating: 3 from 5

Waking Gods

This is a bigger book and seems to pull the other two books together in part. This time, I was riding along with a man who can enter people's minds, a policeman, and also with the mysterious Mr Feldman. Oh, and it also has a cast of millions...of butterflies!

I really don't know what to think about this book. It was better in many ways to the first two books, but definitely left me with many questions. What did the butterflies mean? Which side was meant to be good and which evil (because it was clear throughout the trilogy that there was definitely that divide)? Who are The Teacher and Gepetto? I guess I would need to rered this more carefully to find out.

Star rating: 3 from 5

On the whole, I would give this trilogy a 3 from 5, even though at times it felt like being more. I have been left with a strange feeling in my mind bout them and I have to say one thing...Ron Weasley was wrong...I am not sure I would want to follow the butterflies...give me spiders any day!

The Green-Eyed Monster1833691926834451

Comments