Death of a Nurse by M C Beaton

Many thanks to Grand Central Publishing who allowed me to read an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Death of a Nurse is part of the Hamish Macbeth series by M C Beaton and, I must say, is a wonderfully fun read. Having never read any of this series before, I was in for a very pleasant surprise. I got the same sort of feeling I get from reading Agatha Christie's Poirot or Colin Dexter's Morse books, a sense of deep understanding of the character, and a wicked sense of humour to go with the intelligence that is needed by a rural policeman in the Scottish Highlands.

Hamish is, to be honest, a bit of blind when it comes to women. He really has no idea abut what they want...actually, I think most of us men are like that in some ways, but with him it is more obvious. Like the majority of British people, he is obsessed with his pets and cannot see their faults in anyway...not that they had any in this book. His partner in this book is a little weak, perhaps, but a clumsy copper is always funny. Overall, the characters are excellent and incredible believable.

The plot is full of tremendous twists, and always at the right moments. They kept me riveted to the book, so much that I could easily have read it all in one day.

It does have it's faults, but, like most books in this genre, it is the crime and the criminal that matter most.

Star rating: 4 from 5

 25747142

Comments