Bryant & May - London's Glory by Christopher Fowler

I read an advance readers copy of this book, thanks to Random House UK, in exchange for an honest review.

I was delighted when Random House approved my request for this Bryant & May book. In November last year, I read Bryant & May and the Secret Santa, my first story in this series, which I thoroughly enjoyed (HERE is my review). I was not to be disappointed.

London's Glory is a short story collection set in London. Almost all of the stories follows the characters Arthur Bryant and John May, although one followed one of their colleagues instead and was written from her point of view. All the rest are written in the third person. As with Secret Santa, the humour shines through, often catching me unawares. Each story has a well formed plot, for a short story, as well.

My only criticism is that occasionally the solution to the crime is not explained enough. How did they form the conclusion? Why did the killer commit the crime? It isn't always explained in the best possible way and seems maybe to jump to those conclusions because the stories are meant to be short.

I know Christopher Fowler has written several novels in this series, and I will soon be dipping into these larger stories. I am especially grateful for the end of this book which gives some background from those books. At least until then, I can say with all my heart that I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to more.

Star rating: 4 from 5 - excellent reads

Comments