Thinning The Herd by Adrian Phoenix

I was given an advance readers copy of Thinning The Herd by the publisher, Gallery Books in exchange for an honest review.

At first, I found this book to be a little...less than I was expecting. I can't think of a better way of saying it. However, I stuck with it and got through to the plot proper...and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would liken it, in style, to The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper FForde, at least a little bit anyway. It has the same feel to it, the same sense that you know what's going to happen and yet it is still a surprise when it does, and the humour is quite contagious.

I saw something of myself in Hal Rupert, the main character of this book. I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing at times, especially the parts where he is being ignored by people and thinking that they are just keeping his secret identity from his "enemies". He is a strangely endearing person who has an affinity with his friends, two shifters, and his obviously creepyness as he stalks the woman he thinks of as his girlfriend. You actually can feel sorry for him in those moments, but his reactions are just hilarious!

The plot is a little slow to get going which is probably why I can't give this a 5 star review, but it is worth sticking with it. If you want a humourous romp through a strange world of animals who change into people, or people who change into animals, then this is the book for you.

Star rating: 4 from 5 - mew

Comments