Miasma (Star Trek:TOS) by Greg Cox

Pocket Books kindly sent me an Advance Readers Copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review.

When I was younger, I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager, and later Enterprise. In fact, in many ways, they kept me alive and reasonable sane throughout the bullying I received throughout my teenage years. Ok, maybe liking Star Trek whilst being bullied was a bit counter-productive in some areas, but it really did help me. I found Voyager, especially, to be helpful as I did feel lost and under attack from unknown forces for much of that time.

One thing I missed until this year was sitting down and watching the Original Series with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and the rest. This book, although based after the events of the first 4 Star Trek Movies, has the same feel to it as the original show, and maybe even more towards the animated series, but with the drama of the movies.

With any Star Trek: Original Series book, this one works well with the interplay between Spock and McCoy as they get stranded on a planet with little hope of surviving. Facing giant creatures that are a cross between leeches and cats and are highly carnivorous, and an explosive fog, McCoy has to help an injured Spock, and the rest of the landing party, to survive against the odds.

The one problem I found was the writing style. I'd not read Greg Cox before, but I expected the writing style to be more challenging, yet this is not really a negative. All in all, this book was a nice, short read and would be ideal for any fans of Star Trek looking for a book for a single day.

Star rating: 4 from 5 - just what McCoy would have ordered had he been my doctor!

26853390
Cover art courtesy of GoodReads.com

Comments