A Trio Of Whovian Reviews!

Penguin Random House UK - North America kindly sent review copies of three Doctor Who books featuring the Eleventh Doctor, Amy and Rory in exchange for an honest review. As these are quite short stories, I ave grouped the reviews into one post.

Heart of Stone by Trevor Baxendale

The first book I decided to read was Heart of Stone, which sees the eleventh Doctor, Amy and Rory land on a farm where, mysteriously, the rocks from a wall have been replaced with white rocks...from the moon! As they investigate, they discover that a strange Rock Man is also at the farm, turning everything it touches into stone!

This story, like many Doctor Who stories, melts the heart of any Whovian and alien alike. I found myself screaming silently "DON'T LET IT TOUCH YOU!" to every character, human or Timelord. As always, humour plays a large part in between the scarier moments. This is a must read for any Doctor Who fans, especially if they like Matt Smith's incarnation of the mischievous Doctor.

Star rating: 4 from 5 


Death Riders by Justin Richards

This was a fabulous little read! It read like an episode of the TV series. A sinister first chapter, followed by some lightness with the arrival of the Doctor, before turning into a high-octane thrill ride as they battle against the danger lurking in the Off-Limits tunnels of a mining asteroid. 

This is an absolutely essential read for any Whovian. Once it gets starting, there is no stopping it. Justin Richards truly knows how to write great Doctor Who stories and I will read him again, I'm sure.

Star rating: 5 from 5

System Wipe by Oli Smith

I must admit, I was quite disappointed by this book. The idea of the plot is clever, but I wasn't engaged as much as I expected to be, especially after the other Doctor Who books I have read. The ending, also, was not brilliant in my opinion, but it did have it's moments.

The idea of a virtual world of gaming is not new, which made this idea behind this book really quite interesting, and I like the idea of finding out what happens to the characters in games after we have all left. Imagine something like World of Warcraft where the characters have self control and you will have some idea of what is left. The problem is that the book is largely predictable, and not massively exciting.

Star rating: 3 from 5

Comments

  1. I haven't read a Doctor Who book before, but I have to admit that I am intrigued! I think I'll give them a chance :)

    Aeriko @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment