Over The Top And Back by Tom Jones

My thanks go to Blue Rider Press for forwarding an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The moment I started reading this book, I knew I was going to enjoy it. Tom's writing style is very dry, and he swears when necessary, and it is incredibly easy to picture the life he has led up to the present. Some of his anecdotes are simply hilarious, in particular one about Elvis in his hotel bathroom...never saw that coming!

I knew before I read it that the music industry was incredibly hard to break in to, but I wasn't even close in my estimation as to how difficult a life it could be. Especially when you are just trying to go with the flow. It was a real eye-opener to realise that just one single incident, one person not turning up for a gig, for example, can lead a man into a life where he is always on the edge of failing, and often succeeding by luck, chance, fate, or any of those things.

I didn't know a lot about Tom Jones. I knew some of his music, but i knew nothing of his life, most of his TV shows, the problems with record deals, the lure of Vegas and it's associated problems. I am glad, however, that he only briefly discussed once his well-publicised affairs and any stress it may have caused his marriage, and he didn't name drop either. A gentleman, but a naughty boy none the less.

The final chapter was very moving, especially at the end when he is talking about Linda, his wife. It was a sentimental, clearly straight from the heart moment that was the perfect way to end the book. It shows that he is not a self-centred as some celebrities.

I really did enjoy this book. It is warm, funny, tragic, and entertaining all in one. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to sing it's not unusual...

Star rating: 5 from 5- well, really 6 from 5 as Tom is a star himself!

Comments