Death on the Riviera by John Bude

Thank you to Poisoned Pen Press for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book in return for an honest review. The book is due for release on March 1st 2016.

Considering the events in Paris last week, I decided to read a book set completely in France, even though my particular choice was written by an Englishman, John Bude. In this case, the setting is the French Riviera.

Meredith and Strang, to British policemen are sent to find and arrest the leader of a counterfeiting gang which has been discovered to be operating from the south of France. Working with the French police in a fantastic show of international cooperation (why can’t we ALL get along like this??), they try to catch the criminals in the act. In the process they uncover a wide variety of characters, all with almost improbable reasons to be involved, until the detectives start their investigation. Along the way, however, one of their suspects has the misfortune of committing suicide…or does he? Something else for Meredith to solve!

I really enjoyed this book. Although the writing wasn’t to the same standard as Agatha Christie, one of Bude’s more famous contemporaries, it is full of intrigue and action. I enjoyed the interaction of the two main characters, and even Strang’s uselessness when it comes to flirting, especially when he is told to be discreet about the case. I’ve never read Bude before, but I think I will look out for more books by him. Also, this book is part of the British Library Crime Classics series, which I will also be reviewing more of in the near future.

Star rating: 4 for 5 - near perfect Anglo-French cooperation, which is fitting at the moment!

Death on the Riviera: A British Library Crime Classic

Comments