Slade House by David Mitchell

I was sent an advanced readers copy of this book by Random House Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. It will be available to buy from October 27th 2015.

I have been curious to read more of David Mitchell’s work ever since I first read Cloud Atlas. Although with that book I found myself getting lost in the different styles of writing, I was amazed at the ingenuity of it and wondered what else he could come up with. And now I know…and it is superb!

The moment I opened this book, I was hooked. It is dark, creepy and full of intrigue. The plot develops at a good, natural pace and the writing is perfect for this story. You can’t escape this story once you open the door and consume what David Mitchell has offered you

The story is written from in the first person from five different people’s view of events, every 9 years, between October 27th 1979 and October 31st 2015. Each chapter tells of the creepy goings on surrounding the mysterious Slade House and, in particular, Jonah and Norah Grayer. I loved the interaction between these two characters with each other, and with the other people throughout the story. To a certain extent, they remind me of my sister and I - bickering among ourselves, but loving each other all the same.

Star rating: 5 from 5 - a clever, creepy, tension building wonder!

24499258

For more information about this book, please click this link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24499258-slade-house?ac=1

Comments