The Zombie Stories of H. P. Lovecraft by H. P. Lovecraft

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Dover Publications, in return for an honest review.

A lot of people I admire have referenced the works of H. P. Lovecraft over the years, talking about some of his great creations. Even one of my favourite Sci-Fi shows, Warehouse 13, had an episode based on him. I was in two minds about trying him, however, as I am not the biggest fan of horror. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

The Zombie Stories of H. P. Lovecraft, as a title, may leave something to be desired, but in fairness it tells you exactly what the book is about. It is a series of short stories all linked to the theme of zombies. From the first story onwards, I was hooked on them. The way Lovecraft writes is reminiscent of a lot of great Science Fiction writers from the 19th Century, like H. G. Wells and Jules Verne. The characters, although relative undeveloped, are believable and it is easy to feel what each is going through.

I was genuinely chilled while reading this anthology. Somehow, Lovecraft grabs the reader and drags him into this nightmare. Of the main characters, it is difficult to say who I felt the strongest connection to. However, the one I feared for most was the undertaker. Although that particular story is quite predictable, the fear generated reaches right into my heart. 

Would I read H. P. Lovecraft again? Quite probably. Next time, however, I won't read it so late at night!

Star rating: 4 from 5 - a horror collect, but by no means horrible!

23743394

You can find out more information about this book by following this link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23743394-the-zombie-stories-of-h-p-lovecraft

Comments