Last Seen Wearing by Colin Dexter

I was holidaying in London last weekend with my wife, and on a day trip to Bishop's Stortford to visit my family and some friends, I found this book in a charity shop for just £1. Having enjoyed reading the first book in the Inspector Morse series, I decided to buy it. It was not a bad decision!

Firstly, this is very similar to the TV show, just slightly different in terms of the decade. The writing style is fluid, which I find helps with a detective novel and it almost felt like I was watching the series instead of reading the book. It was a real pleasure to read.

I find myself strangely drawn by Morse's character. Yes, he is a middle-aged, alcoholic, womanising sod, but he is strangely endearing. I definitely found myself sympathising with him over a lost "chance" or two. In this book, his mind is clearly all over the place, not the clear precision of Poirot or Holmes, and yet he is still a relative genius in his field.

As for the plot of this book, it flows very nicely, and quickly, towards a conclusion. I really struggled to work out "whodunnit", but it was worth it in the end.

Star rating: 4 from 5 - not quite a 5 simply because there were times when I got too confused over who was who. That was probably just me, however!



You can find out more information about this book by following this link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1987686.Last_Seen_Wearing

Comments