A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

When I first heard about the Earthsea series I must admit that I expected the books to be much longer. In the version I have, the story itself is just 217 pages, but those pages pack quite a punch! It follows the story of a young man called Ged as he trains to be a sourcerer before setting out to seek his way in the world, the save people from dragons and then to face the shadow that stalks him throughout the book.

I found myself pulled along by the wonderful way Le Guin told this story, and the characters are easy to relate to, especially Ged. The idea of the main protagonist starting his own problems and having to face them himself was not a new one when this book was first published in 1968, nor has it been the most recent, but it is a wonderfully well written, well rounded story which has me impatiently waiting to read the second book in the series, The Tombs of Atuan.

If you enjoy fantasy or adventure stories, I highly recommend this book. Don't not be put off by the fact that it is a young adult book; this only helps to keep the story moving at a pace akin to later YA fantasies like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

You can find out more information on this book by clicking on this link https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13356675-a-wizard-of-earthsea

13356675

Comments